At Setec, you’ll be challenged in new and fascinating ways working on some of the world’s most significant and exciting projects. We are designers, engineers, consultants, technical specialists, and project managers, all making positive impact on the world.
Setec’s distinctiveness lies in its unique organisation into small-scale companies filiated to Setec Group, one of France’s largest engineering firms. Today, Setec has around 3,000 staff within more than 40 companies, each employing 30 to 300 employees. This approach enables Setec to maintain close-knit teams and strong relationships with contractors and clients alike, along with healthy finances and effective group operations.
Setec Consulting Engineers Ltd are the UK subsidiary company of Setec Group, and we are seeking to significantly expand our UK presence to serve our existing UK clients and to grow the UK business.
For Setec Consulting Engineers Ltd we are seeking an enthusiastic Civil/Structural Engineer to take a leading role in the delivery of technical solutions on the Hinkley Point C (HPC) project throughout its construction.
On the HPC project, the largest construction project in Europe, Setec is part of the SICOS consortium which works within the HPC Site Design Liaison Team (SDLT) within the Joint Design Office (JDO) to support the construction of the most complex and important nuclear structures on the site, i.e., the Reactor Building, Fuel Building, Safeguard Buildings, Diesel Buildings and Waste Treatment Building.
Hinkley is set to be the benchmark for future construction of nuclear projects in the UK. It is as much a centre for engineering excellence as it is a power station project. This is a great way to be exposed to cutting edge technology and digital construction methods, such as 3D BIM rebar modelling in TEKLA. This is a unique opportunity to gain experience in both design and construction focused engineering, as you will be in the epicentre of both the design delivery and site construction. You will gain experience at HPC that cannot be gained anywhere else.
Initially deployed onto the HPC Project, you will be involved in the wide-ranging activities undertaken by our Site-Based and Back Office teams, which includes:
- Development and adaptation of FE models and analysis of structures using such models (using ANSYS software).
- Post processing of FE modelling outputs.
- Developing reinforced concrete or steel structure designs compliant with the ETC-C or other relevant codes (Eurocodes) and project specific methodologies and hypothesis notes.
- Checking and coordinating the detailing activities with BIM Coordinators, CAD technicians or other engineers in preparation of 3D BIM rebar models and/or 2D drawings of reinforced concrete or steel structures.
- Managing engineering changes in line with company/project procedures and QA process.
- Assessing and responding to Field Changes Requests, Requests for Information or Site Non-Conformance Requests originating from the Civil Works Contractors.
- Liaising with other stakeholders of Site Engineering Team or Civil Works Contractors for clarification on the site requests.
- Liaising with Back Office in France, Poland, Romania, and Tunisia when Back Office support is needed for closing out of legacy design package issues.
- Technical review and acceptance of contractor deliverables.
- Site Walkdowns and inspections.
Setec will support the development of key skills of engineers at HPC that can be deployable within future nuclear projects in the UK.
What we are looking for
Setec is looking for someone who will thrive in a dynamic environment and can work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders and disciplines to deliver innovative and technical solutions in a timely manner. Someone with both design and site-based experience within a regulated industry is desirable.
Essential skills and knowledge:
- Good understanding of structural theory, with proven problem-solving ability.
- Knowledge and previous experience in the design and/or construction of civil engineering solutions using Eurocodes.
- Reinforced concrete design experience.
- Steel design experience.
- Strong experience using finite element modelling software and associated post processing software, with experience in validation and verification of modelling tools and their outputs.
- MEng, MSc, BEng or BSc in Civil Engineering or other relevant degree level qualification.
- Good knowledge of health and safety legislation and good practice.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and report writing skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a multi-cultural team.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- Experience working in a regulated environment (nuclear, rail, petrochemical, pharmaceutical).
- Nuclear industry experience and experience of safety case documentation.
- Knowledge and previous experience in the design and/or construction of civil engineering solutions using ETC-C or RCC-CW.
- Experience of structural dynamics, including designing for seismic, blast and impact load effects (ETC-C, RCC-CW, ACI 349 or ASCE 4).
- Experience using ANSYS FE software.
- Experience of assessing soil-structure-interaction.
- Experience of fire engineering.
- Experience of 3D modelling and BIM.
- Responsibility for scheduling and commercial aspects of engineering activities and reporting progress against schedule and commercial targets to management.
- Experience of site working with contractors to implement engineering solutions.
- Chartered or working towards Chartership with a relevant organisation (e.g., ICE or IStructE).
A high level of proficiency with English language is required for this role.
We ensure diversity and inclusivity core attributes of our identity. As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
This role will require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance.